Sunday, June 10, 2012

My first 4 days with gdal



I'm new to using the command line to get things done. Last month, I installed Lubuntu and a very small ssd in a very old MacBook because I wanted to save money and I've read a few places online the best way to learn how to code (besides spending the time to learn how to do it) is to use Linux.

This past week at work, I spent most of my time attempting to translate Esri to OGC (in Windows). I realize I'm no spatial Neil Armstrong, but nearly all of my in-depth GIS experience has been in the Esri context. This was the first GIS project I started where I had no idea where to begin (or even what the issues might be) and then, once I did start, if I would be able to successfully finish. Scary stuff!

I'm working on a project to scan, georeference, and serve over 1,100 historical maps of the San Francisco Bay Area. I need to create a workflow that interns and library student employees can learn and improve upon. Here's how I solved the problem of Esri not playing nicely with others:


  1. Georeference the scanned maps in ArcMap (the base maps can't be beat)
  2. Make sure to use WGS84 for the spatial reference; reproject raster tool for those that aren't
  3. Export the newly georeferenced map as a tiff file with world file (might need to find some more horsepower for a cubic transformation)
  4. Move the files over to gdal to create a real geotiff: gdal_translate -of GTiff -a_srs EPSG:4326 G4362_S223_1914_L3.tif G4362_S223_1914_L3gdal.tif
  5. Load the file into the Geoserver data directory, publish, then move on to create metadata
It took me faaaaar too long to realize step 2 was the key. Now that I've taken that one small step for (a) man, I'm hoping to get a real workflow together starting with a paper map and ending up with a georeferenced raster in GeoData@UC Berkeley.