Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Changes in location and otherwise

Changes are afoot! I'm starting as the Data Researcher at Urban Mapping in San Francisco later this month. I'm very excited to work with the team there. I'm looking forward to using the geospatial data and metadata skills I've acquired over the past six years at UC Berkeley to augment and expand UMI's data holdings and services.

Reflecting on the change, I'm especially excited to explore and use a variety of metadata schemas and standards. Library cataloging is moving in the right direction, away from digitally recreating a card catalog framework, but the changes comes slowly. I'm looking forward to the fast pace of a development environment and the new challenges I'll face.

While the focus of this blog may waver from GIS in libraries, it won't be able to stray far from libraries in GIS. I'm looking forward to sharing more frequently and using this as a work blog to keep a record of my process and side projects. I plan on staying involved in WAML and MAGIRT as I think there are some important discussions to be had across geospatial libraries and library-like places.